To service the trucking industry by providing professional and quality products and services to each customer to assist them with the profitable operation of their business.
To constantly find ways to exceed the needs and expectations of each customer.
The company was founded in 1932 by James H. “Bo” Shealy under the name of James H. Shealy’s Garage as a garage for truck repairs.
The original location was at the corner of Sumter and Washington Streets. In 1936 the company moved to 2123 N. Main Street and in 1940, Bo Shealy signed a dealer agreement with Mack Trucks to sell trucks within the Columbia area and vicinity.
In 1944 the franchise territory was expanded to include Richland, Kershaw, Lexington, Orangeburg, Calhoun and Fairfield Counties. By 1950 the franchise area had grown to include Allendale, Barnwell, Bamberg, Newberry and Sumter Counties. Subsequently, Saluda and Lee counties were added to comprise the current thirteen counties that we consider to be our basic trade area.
Carl D. Shealy, brother of Bo Shealy, joined the business in 1947. On December 27, 1947, the business was incorporated as Shealy’s, Inc. The original stockholders were James H. Shealy, James H. Shealy, Jr., Carl D. Shealy and Clayton J. Meetze.
Bo Shealy remained President of the company until his retirement on March 15, 1972, at which time Carl Shealy was elected President. Carl Shealy also purchased all of the outstanding stock, thereby becoming the sole stockholder. Bo Shealy continued to serve as Chairman of the Board until his death in 1978.
In 1979, Carl Shealy built a new 38,640 square foot facility situated on 4.2 acres at 1340 Bluff Road.
The facility at 2123 Main Street remained open as Shealy’s Main Street Equipment, Inc., a distributor for Marmon and Iveco trucks, as well as for used trucks and parts. This store was closed in early 1984 and operations were consolidated at the Bluff Road store. Both the Marmon and Iveco lines were dropped.
Carl Shealy remained President until his death on January 13, 1984. The company stock subsequently was acquired by Carl Shealy’s sons, Bruce and David. Bruce Shealy was elected President and David Shealy Vice President of the Company.
Shealy Leasing, Inc. was formed in August 1984 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Shealy’s, Inc. for the purpose of leasing trucks and related equipment. In August 1985, the company signed an agreement with East Manufacturing Corporation of
In January 1986, Isuzu Heavy Duty Trucks were added to the product line. The Isuzu product line includes Class 3 through Class 7 vehicles.
The Mitsubishi Fuso line of trucks was added in December 1986 that included trucks in the Class 6-7 and Class 3. Mitsubishi subsequently was dropped in April 1988 in favor of the Isuzu line.
In May 1987 the name of the truck operation was changed to Shealy’s Truck Center, Inc., in order to make the name of the business more descriptive of our line of business. Shealy’s
In December 1987, an agreement was signed with Clement Industries of Minden, La. to sell steel dump trailers in
Also in December 1987, Shealy Leasing became one of the first Mack Distributor Leasing Companies to join the Mack Leasing System and expanded operation to include full service leasing and daily rental.
Western Carolina Mack Sales, located in
In June 1999, an agreement was signed with Western Star Trucks to be a full service dealer in the
In February 2003 the Shealy acquired the Volvo and GMC dealerships in the Upstate from Volvo/GMC truck Center of Greenville. Operations were consolidated at 331 Midpoint Blvd.
In November 2003 the assets of Carolina Trucks & Equipment were acquired. Service operations were maintained at the leased facility at 1515 Old Dairy Rd. under the name of Carolina Western Star.
Shealy Leasing was named the Southeast Region and National Mack Leasing Member for 2005.
Shealy’s became an “Elite Support” dealer for Daimler in February 2012 and has been re-certified each year since. For more information about Elite Support, click here!
In 2016, Bruce’s daughter, Keri S. Hogue was elected Secretary of the board and acquired a minority interest in Shealy’s Inc.
On November 14, 2016 Shealy’s Inc. opened Shealy Truck Center- WNC, a parts and service facility in Candler, NC to service Western North Carolina. The parts and service facility is located at 370 Liberty Road, Candler, NC 28715.
On June 9, 2017 Shealy Truck Center of the Piedmont became a Certified Uptime Center for Mack and Volvo. The Columbia location became Uptime Center Certified in January of 2018. Click here to find out more information about what this means for your business!
The trucking industry has changed a great deal over the years. Undoubtedly, we will see more changes in years to come. However, some things never change. Things such as the importance of the dignity of work and of caring for the business, for its people and for its customers. These are the things that have ensured our success in the past and will continue to assure our success in the future.
Shealy’s Truck Center
Toll Free Phone: 800-951-8580